Post & Core
1. What is a post-and-core?
- A post-and-core is a metal component of an extensive tooth repair:
- It is a thin metal rod that is cemented into the root of a tooth.
- It consists of a post that fits into the root canal, and a core portion that projects above the gum.
- A new replacement crown will be cemented into position over the core.
2. Why is a post-and-core necessary after root canal treatment?
- Teeth that are treated for root canal problems are often badly broken down.
- They need to be built up before they can have a replacement crown fitted over them.
- Post-and-core fabrication is the method of choice for the build-up process.